I present you our Comfort Food Edition… due to “weather teasing”. Sunny and warm one day, grey and just above zero the other. I think we need all the comfort we can get to get through these typical Newfoundland spring.
Bibimbap – The colour, the veggies, the sunny side egg on top! I LOVE everything about this dish and so do the kids. Super quick to put together and nutritious, it is a traditional comfort food in South Korea. I would highly recommend serving it with sticky rice and gochujang (Korean hot pepper paste) for the best combination of flavours.
Non-meat Meatballs – This was a request from our 3 year old. Delicious meatless meatballs, drowning in homemade tomato sauce, on top of all dente spaghetti. Comfort all over it and certainly the messiest dinner you can offer to children.
Fennel Orange Risotto – Summer comfort food! Fresh and “carby”. This is a great risotto to serve with a big green salad and a glass of white wine.
Vegan Chocolate Chip Cookies – The only cookie recipe from the Oh She Glows! Cookbook (pp. 265) but it is a great one. They can easily overcook so keep an eye on that timer.
Cod Migas – A variation of the traditional Portuguese Migas de Bacalhau but it could also certainly be a Newfoundland dish. Cornbread, black eye peas, salt cod and lots of olive oil, obviously!
- 4 cups kale leafs blanched and chopped
- 1 Tbsp. + ½ cup olive oil
- 4 garlic cloves minced divided
- 1 medium onion chopped
- 500 g salted cod pieces (soaked and bones removed)
- 400 g cornbread pieces (no crust)
- 2 cups black eye peas cooked
- 2 Tbsp. parsley chopped
- Pre-heat the oven to 400F.
- In a frying pan fry the onion in 1 tbsp. of olive oil until the onion is fragrant (about 5 min). Add 2 minced garlic cloves and keep frying at low heat. Once the onion is soft add the cod. Cook the cod for about 10min.
- In a baking dish mix the cod, kale, bread and beans. Pour ½ cup of olive oil, the parsley and the reminder of the garlic over the cod mixture.
- Cover the dish with aluminum foil or with the crust of the corn bread.
- Take it to the oven for about 15-25min.