If you are looking for a granola with the perfect degree of sweetness, crunch, and a punch of healthy additions you came to the right place! Plus, below there’s also recipes for a deadly 3-bean salad, chickpea & cavatelli soup, sweet potato falafel with homemade baba ghanoush, and a butternut squash & orange risotto. Enjoy!
Three Bean Salad – This was SO good! Trust me because I’m not a huge fan of bean salad. It had the perfect amount of beans and veggies, and a delicious sauce. We used a sweeter vinegar (the Sicilian lemon balsamic vinegar from O’Leva) so only ½ cup of sugar was added. I also highly recommend adding a finely sliced fennel bulb for the extra crunch.
Chickpea & Cavatelli Soup – I love a good pasta and bean salad. Costco now carries a nice fresh pasta that is perfect for this comforting soup. We forgot to purée part of the chickpeas because in the original recipe it comes after you add the vegetables to the stock. The result was a more liquid soup but the flavour was still great!
Sweet Potato Falafel & Homemade Baba Ghanoush – Falafel was a request from our 4 year old. The addition of sweet potatoes in this recipe brings a nice flavour and texture. The big winner though was the baba ghanoush! There’s nothing like finding a great recipe that has nothing on the store bought versions.
Butternut Squash & Orange Risotto – A recipe without beans! Hurray! According to Chris this is the best risotto I’ve ever made and I must say I was very pleased with the end result as well. I made it with vegetable stock and added some Parmesan cheese in the end because risotto without it is not really risotto in my humble opinion.
Scrumptious Granola – I found this granola recipe years ago on the A Small Snippet blog. Add some things here, take some things there and now it’s my favourite granola recipe. In this version I added cranberries because I had a big container from the risotto above but I prefer the sweetness of the medjool dates. A batch normally lasts about 3 weeks at our place. Hope you love it as much as us!
- 8 cups old fashioned rolled oats
- 1 cup almonds chopped
- 1 cup cashews chopped
- 2 tbsp flax seeds (freshly ground)
- 2 tbsp hemp seeds
- 1 cup honey
- ½ cup water
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp almond extract
- 1 tsp salt
- 3 medjool dates chopped (or ⅓ cup dried cranberries)
- Preheat the oven at 300F.
- Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper.
- In a big bowl mix the oats, almonds, cashews, flax and hemp seeds.
- In a small bowl mix the honey and the water. If the honey is solid place the bowl in the microwave for about 20 seconds until honey is smooth and liquid. Add the extracts and salt, and mix well.
- Pour the liquid on to the oats and mix well until all the oats are coated (I find it easier to do it with my hands). Add and mix the dates or cranberries.
- Spread the oats equally onto the 2 baking sheets.
- Place the baking sheets in the oven for 20min, stir the granola well and bake for another 15-18min. This depends on the oven so make sure that the granola does not get too brown on the edges and remove it as soon as it’s lightly brown. The granola will crisp more once it cools.